Friday, December 5, 2008

Evaluate:

What are your comments/opinions on how the book is written?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The author does a good job writing the book from a special needs kid's perspective. I find the dialog and they way the author describes Christopher's way of thinking is very realistic and intresting.

Brina Wallace said...

I like the way the book is written. it really puts a good insight into how Christopher's mind works. Many of the sentences use a simple sentence structure, and are very repetative. "Also I don;t know what Father means when he says "Stay out of other people's business" because i do not know what he means by "other people's business" because i do lots of things with other people, at school and in the shop and on the bus, and his job is going into other people's houses and fixing thier boilers and thier heating. and all of these things are other people's business."

Jacob Meurer said...

@Brina
I agree with you, but by other people's business he means their personal business that they might want to keep private, not neccassarily doing things with them or helping them in some way

Jacob Meurer said...

@Brina
Oo...I gotcha not...I didn't realize you were quoting the book when you said that...my bad

Jacob Meurer said...

I think the book is overall very well written. I like the way he presents everyone, and I also like the way he shows Christopher's mind at work, not like a usual character, but like a normal kid who likes a spacific way of living.

Steve Navarro said...

i like that the book is written like your looking at the world from Christopher's eyes. Also the facts that Christopher knows are really interesting, things you wouldn't normally read or know about.

Steve Navarro said...

Another thing that i have noticed is the chapters are numbered by prime numbers. He also does not like the color brown or yellow and he likes to speak very literal.

Amelia Romine said...

I agree with everyone about how well the book is written. I like how Christopher is explaining everything, but not like a person without a disability would. He uses different sentence structure than other types of people would. It's also very different when he explains his personal view on the world, like when he crumples up in a ball when the police officers find him, and he doesn't want to be touched. It kind of bothers me though how the officers don't treat him differently when Christopher gets thrown in jail, though; he didn't know what he was doing.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Amelia when she was talking about how the police officers were treating Christopher.

Brina Wallace said...

@amelia and @makaylee,
yes I agree with both of you. The police officer should have respected Christopher and he should have also taken into consideration (or at least investigated a little to realize) Christopher's disability. If he had asked a few questions and been more understanding instead of playing the "bad cop" I believe things would have turned out much better for the both of them.

Amelia Romine said...

Okay, the book was okay, but the writing style was not one of my personal favorites. The sentences were choppy and the paragraphs were very unorganized when put together. Also, there were TONS of run-on sentences, and it was very hard to understand in some parts.
I get that it was meant to sound like how an autistic person would speak, but it still irked me to some degree.